Italian Savoury Easter Cheese Pie, also known as fiadone di formaggio, is a rustic combination of eggs and cheese enveloped in a very firm dough.
For the pastry dough [makes about 3 fiadoni]
Flour as much as needed [about 3/4 cups]
2 tablespoons Colonna “Classic” extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
For the filling [3 different types of cheese]
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup Romano cheese, grated
1 cup soft fresh cheese, grated
4 whole eggs
1 to 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 table spoon of Colonna “Rose of Mary” oil
Pinch of pepper (optional)
To brush the top of fiadoni: 2 egg yolks, beaten
To make the pastry dough
- Combine ingredients and work into a pastry dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Wrap with clear plastic.
- Place in a container. Cover with a linen cloth.
- Let the dough rest for an hour or so at room temperature.
To make the cheese filling
- Beat the eggs
Mix grated cheeses.
– Combine the beaten eggs with grated cheese – do the mixing by hand using a wooden spoon or fork, do not use a blender or food processor. The cheese mixture should be not too smooth, but remain in its natural state.
– Add finely grated parsley, a pinch of pepper and a table spoon of Colonna “Rose of Mary” oil. Mix well (by hand).
To make the fiadoni
– Using a rolling pin, roll out the rested pastry dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
– Cut out circles with a serrated roller pastry cutter the size of a dinner plate (about 9 inches wide).
– Place the filling in the center of the circle.
– In the half of the pastry circle that will cover the filling, make three “thimble” size holes; seal the pastry pockets with a fork.
– Re-cut the edges with a serrated roller pastry cutter (to make it look more appealing).
– Brush the tops of the fiadoni with egg yolk.
– Bake in 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden. Serve at room temperature. And enjoy!